Develop effective leadership skills with QRC's Explorer programme - the ultimate Southern Alpine outdoor experience that cannot be replicated anywhere else in New Zealand.
Ideal to do before serious study or a new career, QRC Explorer will extend your boundaries and give you the boost you need to reach your goals.
Established by professional outdoor practitioners with dozens of years of experience, QRC Explorer has been designed to give you lifelong leadership skills, to develop your confidence, improve your motivation and to help you set clear goals for your future.
You will develop:
- Greater self confidence
- Awareness of teamwork and group dynamics
- Self reliance and independence
- A greater desire to challenge and push personal boundaries
- Courage, resourcefulness and motivation
"The QRC Explorer programme is about providing young people with the environment in which they can develop self confidence, self care , outdoor skills, and an understanding of leadership and teamwork. The outdoor environment and setting will provide a unique, enjoyable, challenging place of learning which provides a range of rock, alpine, bush and water experiences".
- Leadership styles and skills development
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Team dynamics and team-building exercises
- Pushing personal boundaries
- Physical and mental challenges
- Achieving the 'impossible'!
- Outdoor activities such as rock climbing, abseiling, mountain biking and kayaking
- An overnight adventure challenge in bush (summer) or snow caves (winter)
How to Apply
Frequently asked questions
Who should apply?
The programme is specifically designed for 18 - 25 year olds. It is ideal for college preparation and will enhance your CV and college application. It is also ideal for those thinking about a change in direction, but who need a bit of motivation and inspiration to get started.
How fit do I need to be?
The physical components of Southern Explorer are, at times, challenging. Before coming on the programme you should be able to walk for 10km, swim at least 25 metres and have some experience mountain biking. If you think you are not fit, we recommend doing some exercise before it starts.
English is not my first language, what level do I need to be?
Because of the outdoors components, for safety's sake non-native English speakers need to have IELTS (or equivalent) 5.5 academic and 5.5 speaking (minimum).