Medical and Travel Insurance

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students studying abroad are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health.

International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying abroad in New Zealand. Queenstown Resort College will organise these insurances for you upon application.

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs.

Student visas

When you enrol with QRC from overseas, you must apply for a Student Visa from Immigration New Zealand. Once you have your letter of offer from QRC, you can begin your visa application. Be mindful when choosing your programme intake that you have allowed enough time for the processing of your visa.

You can find out the application steps as well as permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying and reporting requirements at this Immigration New Zealand site. Read their Student Visa Guide here. QRC can help you apply for a student visa or alternatively your education agent can assist with this process. See our handy guide to the visa process here.

When applying for your visa, Immigration NZ requires you to show evidence of $15,000 to cover the cost of living in New Zealand for one year. 

Graduate Job Search visa

If you have successfully graduated from QRC in the programmes listed on your visa, you can apply for a Post Study Work Visa. This visa allows you to work in New Zealand for up to 12 months.